Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Secret Society Girl

I had medium expectations for Secret Society Girl by Diana Peterfreund. I read from a blogger whose opinion I trust that the Ivy League series is a witty, funny one, but I had my doubts. I judged the book by its cover. Girl with a green sweater tied around her shoulders? It is just too similar to the many other series about college life for the privileged. And the book's premise seemed to support this view. Amy Haskel is selected to join a powerful secret underground society at an elite university. Not only does this girl attend an Ivy highbrow school, she's also picked to be in a group that's seen as above the school's general populace. She's the elite of the elite. Yet, Peterfreund complicates this because as a member of the first group of girls to join the society, she has to defend her position.

What really drew me into the story, though, was the narrator's voice. She's smart, she's funny, and she makes convincing mistakes.

There's an interesting romantic sidestory that didn't go the way I thought it would as well.

I'll look out for more in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment