Saturday, June 27, 2009

Dust of 100 Dogs

Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King

The narrator's (and main character's) voice immediately captured me. What a strong and fierce heroine! She sort of reminds me of E. Lockhart's Frankie-Landau Banks, brilliant and sort of crazy. Saffron often has violent eye-plucking fantasies. At first the flashbacks to Saffron's past life as Emer naive (in love) Irish girl to feared swashbuckling pirate, annoyed me, but only because I didn't understand the point of them. Looking back, though, the flashbacks do a good job in laying the foundation of Emer's character. I enjoyed the 'Dog Tip' sections (Saffron recounts some of her past lives--of which there are 100--they were entertaining and imaginative. However, there was one brief moment I thought a bit off.

Here's the excerpt about the Civil War:
All of this for slavery. All of this for a white man's right to own a black man...Crazy right?
OK, my government teacher in high school would have been upset at this. It oversimplifies the civil war. Yes, slavery was a large part of it, but not the whole part.

Besides that minor tiff, this book was a fantastic read. An angry read, but in the end hopeful. I recommend it to those who love adventure, pirates, and kickass girls.


No comments:

Post a Comment